Sunday, July 1, 2007

The Nexus of the Universe (Version 2.0)

So I was out with Yes Dear and some friends Saturday night to see a band play when I ran into an old friend from college. She was out with her husband and sister to see the same band and asked me if I was ever going to resume blogging.

She and her husband proceeded to tell me they’d really enjoyed my blog and wished I’d write more.(Granted, they’d been drinking, so it’s possible they were thinking someone actually funny and not me.) These are not the first people to tell me I need to start writing again. I’ve had other friends also ask me why I’d quit blogging and the truth of the matter is it became too much of a time commitment.

But the fact remains I really like writing, and if I can make someone else laugh, that’s even better. That’s why I’m resurrecting The Nexus of the Universe. While the requests from my fans is one reason I want to write more (and by fans, I mean people who know me who want another place to waste a good five minutes online when they should be doing something productive, but that’s really just semantics at this point.)

Another is something I saw on the Seinfeld extras I was watching this weekend (as you can probably guess, going out Saturday night was the highlight of my weekend if watching bonus material on Seinfeld DVDs is inspiring me.) In it, Jerry Seinfeld and co-creator Larry David credit Jerry’s devotion to writing everyday to making him a better comic.

Now I have no grand delusions of being as funny as Jerry Seinfeld . . . (Actually, I do, but the medication is doing its job of keeping those voices from talking to me - yes, a psychosis joke. You didn’t really think I was above that, did you?) But the fact remains that I do write for a living, and ultimately I’d love to either have a syndicated column or write a book (or, ideally, both,) so do to do that, I need to make a commitment to write everyday.

That doesn’t mean you should expect to see something on here daily. After all, I do write something for my paper most days. Hell, this motivation may be gone by the time I wake up tomorrow, but I am going to try to write something more often. Hopefully it’ll be funny.

So welcome back to The Nexus of the Universe. We hope you enjoy. See you soon.

3 comments:

Dan Underwood said...

there is a God.

Kelley said...

And life is good again....Thanks.

Scott Garner said...

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

1st Sign of the apocolypse: I start blogging regularly again.

2nd sign: YOU start blogging again.

3rd sign: I get married.

Make peace with your god before October 13th, little man.