Friday, August 24, 2007

I'm not quite dead

So for the past several months, a product called "vitamin water" has been advertising extensively on the channels I watch. (Apparently I need to also buy new vehicles and eat steaks and use A1 steak sauce, but that's a different topic for a different day.)

Vitamin Water, as best as I can tell, is just another in a line of sports drinks like Gatorade, Powerade, and the long-since forgotten 10K.

Having never tried the product, I'm really not in any position to discuss the merits of the beverage, but there are a couple things about Vitamin Water that bother me, if for no other reason than I think their marketing team is being lazy.

Let's start with the name. Vitamin Water. Really, is that the best we could come up with? As the old Saturday Night Live sketch used to say, "who are the ad wizards who came up with that one?" Vitamin Water is one step above "Healthy Drink" in terms of naming a product. You've got to sell the sizzle, baby, not the steak. Vitamin Water doesn't pop. It doesn't grab my attention. It sounds like something my grandmother should be drinking to offset the onset of aging. But apparently it's being marketed to people like me.

And how is it being marketed? With perhaps the worst slogan ever for a product in the history of mankind? The slogan, for those who haven't seen the product advertised, is "Try it."

That's right, just "Try it." Not "Try it, you'll be amazed" or "Try it at your own peril," you know, something that might give it an edge. Nope, they went with "Try it." Again, I ask, who are the ad wizards who came up with that one?

If you're going to go with "Try it," why even bother trying at all? Why not go with "Vitamin Water: Ehh, why not?" But I guess the ad wizards had to make some sort of effort to earn their paycheck.

School Update: So far, so good. I'm getting used to getting up at 7 a.m. every morning for one of my jobs, but other than that, things are well. I like my classes, like my classmates, and best of all, I get to use Yes Dear's faculty parking pass to drive to class. The two graduate assistants at the RAC who also ride with me to class also enjoy that perk.

Intramural Update: Playing with a team comprised of Yes Dear's student employees, we went 3-1 in the dodgeball season. Playoffs start Sunday night, and we'll see what happens. I know this much, my arm hurts.

No comments: